Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Atrocious Alliteration and Random Recipes

When I wrote last, I told you a tale of my entrancement with Harry Potter, and how I've funneled that fanatical fascination by reading books about the Harry Potter series. One of the books I am reading right now is Repotting Harry Potter. This knowledgeable narrative is interesting and informative and has enlightened me about many a matter, most importantly a fatal flaw of mine, one that involves my wacky writing ways. For those who have read the heroic Harry Potter tales, particularly the Chamber of Secrets, you know of a character called Gilderoy Lockhart. The author of Repotting,
James W. Thomas, noticeably notes Lockhart's love of alliteration and even goes as far to say that, "[Lockhart] is more than fond of foolish and frivolous alliteration." Upon reading this my face reddens and embarrassment is the emotion that engulfs me. At once,
I am appalled by the atrocious amount of alliteration and balderdash that has bombarded the bulk of my blogs. I am abruptly attacked with angst and begin to agonize over my ability to give up this gabble, nevertheless I know my claptrap must be canned, or at very least dumbed down. My brain must break from blogging. So rather, than rattle on and ruffle you with these ragged ramblings and random redundancies, I will roll out some recipes, which are made-up by me and entrusted to you for your enjoyment and entertainment!

SUMPTUOUS SANGRIA (VIRGIN VERSION IN VIOLET)

Ingredients

  • 2/3 cup frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
  • 1 (750 milliliter) bottle dry red wine
  • 1 (750 milliliter) bottle fruit wine, such as black raspberry
  • 1/2 cup triple sec
  • 1/2 cup brandy or grand marnier
  • 2-3 oranges, washed and sliced into rounds
  • 6 oz black berries, fresh or frozen
  • 8 maraschino cherries
  • 2 cups lemon-lime soda

Directions

In a large pitcher or bowl, mix together the first five ingredients. Float slices of orange, blackberries, and maraschino cherries in the mixture. Refrigerate overnight for best flavor. You can add the soda when you first make it, or wait until before serving if you want it to be a bit fizzy.

For virgin sangria, you can substitute BOTH wines for one-half gallon of your favorite juice, preferably a grape and berry combination such as 100% cranberry-grape juice, and substitute both the orange juice concentrate AND both liquors (triple sec and brandy) for 2 cups of regular orange juice (using OJ concentrate with the juice may make the flavor too strong and two sweet). Follow the rest of the directions as written and enjoy.

GARLICKY GUAC

Ingredients

  • Pulp from 2 ripe avocados, 1 pit reserved and skins and other pit discarded
  • 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
  • 1 heaping tablespoon of your favorite salsa
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • Juice from ½ of a lemon


Directions

Place all ingredients (except the pit) in a small food processor and blend until smooth, stopping the food processor and scraping down the sides as needed. When done, scrape the guacamole into a container to store, place the reserved pit in the center to help keep it from browning, and cover the container. It will keep in the refrigerator for several days. The surface of the guacamole may still brown a bit, especially if exposed to the air for a long period of time, but it's still good to eat.

So as you receive these recipes, my blogging break begins. I have no intention of abandoning my abstract abode as I have numerous notions at the hilt. I shall be back before you know it. I expect you to enjoy my kitchen creations while I take respite from writing to read more rigorously, as reading is what inspires me to write. Perhaps the next time I put this 'pen to the paper', I will no longer plow you with this poppycock prattle.


So, as I bid you adieu for a week or two with the hope of returning anew, may my addiction to alliteration be forever askew with these tongue twisting blessings I give to you,

Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment