Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Hot Topics and Guilty Pleasures

I would like to share with you a story, one that begins with a tale of a trip to Hot Topic. This quirky store is one I have entered only twice in my life, the first time being over six years ago when I was pregnant with my son. On this initial adventure, I entered the interesting shop with the sole intention of buying a gift card for my brother to give him as a Christmas present. He was a fan of the store, and I wanted to give him something he could use. I quickly began to regret my gift idea the moment I approached the counter however, when the excessively pierced man behind it looked at me as if I was from an alien world. I thought to myself 'I am far too old to be in a store like this,' perhaps at the time overlooking the possibility that it was likely my disposition combined with the fact I was visibly nine months pregnant which made me seem so oddly misplaced in a store that personally appeared to be for only the very young and modish. As the sweat began to bead on the back of my neck I quickly asked for the gift card, made my purchase, and swore to never reenter the hip ship again. Nevertheless, on a date with my husband last week, something beckoned me to take back that pledge I made all those years ago and reenter the very same Hot Topic in which I purchased the infamous gift card. The energy that emerged from the staff this time was much warmer, exuding a manner of goodwill and cooperation. They welcomed me with smiles on their faces and this time I felt much more comfortable in my own skin. Jon followed closely behind as I searched for the apparel I longed to have, but my hunt was not successful. 'Should I dare to ask?' I said quietly to myself. I figured that I could pass it off as if the t-shirt wasn't for me, but for a much younger friend or a sister that never actually existed. I decided to be generic at first, only asking if they had shirts depicting the movies that starred the character famously portrayed by the bloke I wished to wear on my chest. "Sure we have those shirts," the polite store clerk responded, "which one are you looking for in particular?" Suddenly I was not so comfortable anymore. A bit embarrassed I paused for a moment, and in those seconds of silence my husband laughed and gave me away. There was no doubt I was hoping to purchase the sought after item for myself. I reluctantly gave her the name of the character the intriguing actor plays, but she delivered the bad news that they no longer sold those shirts. Dismayed, I left store, but this time with no protest of my probable return.

A month previous to my last trip to the hip ship I got the best Christmas present ever. Yes, I know that was quite a jump, but I promise you I have my reasons. This most fabulous gift was not jewelry or a gift card for a massage, and it certainly wasn't a t-shirt. I was delighted upon opening this present from Jon to find a calendar. Yes, you read that right, a calendar. Seriously, one that was personally made by my wonderful husband and it was extraordinary, not only because Jon made it, but also because each month of that said calendar displayed a different yet brilliantly handpicked photo portraying the actor of whose face I was desperately searching for on a t-shirt in Hot Topic. My jaw dropped in astonishment as I realized the time Jon must have taken to make the very gift I had joked about receiving for the two months prior to the popular winter holiday. While flipping through this specially crafted masterpiece, I ogled at the pictures, some in which my new favorite chap was shirtless with mussed hair. The sexiness that emanated from these men, Jon and the unnamed actor respectively, made it hard to contain the drool about to escape my mouth. Alright, that's an exaggeration, but I'm sure my jaw opened a bit wider upon gazing at them. All in all, the twelve images picked just for me made it hard for this woman not to smile. I know I've already iterated this in my When a Man Loves a Woman post, but I really do have the best husband ever.

So while Jon is the light of my life, this mysterious actor of whom I am speaking is my culpable delight. My fascination with him began about six months ago after reading a series of illustrious books, and watching some of the equally illustrious movies that depicted said books. I swore to myself that I would never give into the hype; I would not read these books, let alone watch the movies that represented them, but my friends talked me into it and of course like everyone else who has touched their pages and viewed their brilliance, I was captivated with both the novels and the films. It was in fact because of these novels and films that this brilliant actor first became known to me. The more the films intrigued me, the more I became interested in the actors, and after I watched a few interviews of them on YouTube, it was the actor of whom I've been speaking who began to catch my attention. After hearing his gentle British accent and observing his shy demeanor, I suddenly found myself smitten. This was a man who appeared to be genuine, down to earth, who had quirky mannerisms and an affable sense of humor. His interests, his style (which ironically mimics that of those who work in Hot Topic), and his inherent comical nature reeled me in as if I were a fish who took the bait. It also didn't hurt that he had the most striking shade of hair and adorable grin lit up his whole face. He was unique looking, but extremely attractive in the same respect. The problem that lies in my enthrallment with this young man is just that, he is young, probably too young for me to be justly mesmerized with him. I was certain this would be a passing phase, something I would forget about a few weeks later, but here I am several months later and my adoration remains.

If you haven't guessed already, my latest guilty pleasure is none other than Rupert Grint, aka Ron Weasley of Harry Potter. Yes indeed I admit it, Mr. Grint who has been growing up before the world for the last 10 years has no doubt caught my interest. This 21 year old man who likes to hang out with his family, seems so normal in lieu of his celebrity status, and is super wicked because he owns an ice cream truck (that he can take me for a ride in anytime btw, LOL). So for those of you who don't get it or share my affection, well, poo on you, because he is downright cool in my book. So NO JUDGEMENT PEOPLE! J We all have our guilty pleasures; I'm just bold enough to admit mine.



5 comments:

  1. I was in suspense...who is this? Now I'm smiling. Ah well. We all have our crushes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it wouldn't have been nearly as interesting if I told you who it was from the beginning, now would it? Not impressed in my choice of celebrity crush I take it. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber,
    Impressed with your crush or not is sort of beside the point...you have learned well that one of the best virtues of story telling is, "insert a celebrity" and the story in inherently more interesting. The last time I was in Hot Topic I was there with Bono's little brother...it was a very interesting experience. (Ok it wasn't actually Bono's brother it was the brother of Bono's wife's assistant.) Your suspense makes up for it though. Nicely written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Martin... you crack me up :) Nothing like a little embellishment. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well! I am there along with you lady. You know how bloody(sorry) crazy I am about Rupert! And I agree he is down-right ADORABLE!

    Ha! Hot Topic craziness..I actually won a RON WEASLEY shirt from ICM for the Greatest Wheezy Essay.

    You can see me wearing it in the 'My Inspiration' pictures too. :-)

    Great read Amber, I am glad that I discovered your Blog.

    ReplyDelete